JCI BENIN METROPOLITAN LEPROSY COMMUNITY PROJECT REPORT
Haven resolved to domesticate effort of JCI Nigeria to combat Leprosy Stigmatization in Edo State, JCI Benin Metropolitan thought it wise to commemorate this year World Leprosy Day at the Ossiomo Leprosarium Home in Ogan Community, Orhionmwon Local Government area, Edo State in order to share with the victims their experience, gifts and ultimately identify with them as part of our responsibility to create sustainable impact in community in relation to the Sustainable Development Goal-good health to the people which is in line with the theme of this year, “I AM LOVED, I HAVE HOPE, BUT I NEED YOUR HELP”.
It will interest you to know that members of JCI Benin Metropolitan converged at Oba Akenzua Cultural Centre at 12:30 pm on the 29th of January 2017, and had a stopover at Ikpoba Hill Market in Benin to sensitize the populace and market women on the need for them to show love and care to people living with Leprosy and thereafter went to Ogan community.
In our genuine effort to conduct need analysis in line with JCI active citizens framework, we had a fruitful interactive session with the Enogie of Ogan community, palace chiefs, youths and the Leprosy victims. Thus, we observed as follows:
- That the Ossiomo Leprosy Home was founded in the year 1930
- That the Leprosy, victims were transferred to the Ossiomo Leprosarium home from other states for treatments.
- That Investors and well meaning Nigerians show little or no interest in the development of the community due to the stigma associated with the Leprosy victims.
- That even when it has been medically proven that Leprosy is curable and not hereditary a lot of Nigerians still stigmatize the victims and community.
- That the Ossiomo Leprosarium Home lack infrastructural facilities like motorable roads, accommodation, food, education, empowerment, water, skills acquisition centre e.t.c.
- That the victims lack medical treatment due to non availability of medical consultants and nurses.
- That effort of Non-governmental Organization has been visible in some buildings within the Ossiomo Leprosarium Home.
- That the Ossiomo Leprosarium Home is not secured due to lack of fence around the vicinity thereby prompting leprosy victims/tuberculosis patients undergoing treatment to invade the Ogan Community who are now under the Leprosy gems/TB attack. “A case study was when a patient who was undergoing treatment took a walk to the community restaurant wherein he vomited and the community had to shut down the restaurant to avoid colossal spread of the gems to countless people”
- That for the past 25 years government or representative of government has not visited the place but politicians do solicit their votes before and during elections.
- That the best eye clinic in the country is in Ossiomo Leprosarium home
- That the Leprosy victims case are worst than those in IDP camps.
- That Edo State government should lead a delegation to Ossiomo Leprosy Home as it will be the 2nd time that good hearted, carry and people’s Governor is visiting and showing love to the Leprosy victims as such Laudable move will avail government first hand information about the aforementioned findings which will then offers great opportunity for government to make informed decision.
- That genuine NGO should extend their goodwill to Leprosy patients
- That genuine effort should be made by citizens to join JCI to stop Leprosy stigmatization globally.
Hover for colored image. Click for larger image.