In appreciation of the commemoration of World Malaria Day 25th April 2017, while some of JCI Benin Metropolitan Members and her Medical teams were at Urhukpota Hall distributing over 1,200 treated Mosquito Nets to malaria victims, administering of drugs to those who tested Positive by our medical experts and creating Malaria awareness to people that were drawn from Owiebo and Ekpenede and other Communities within Oredo Local Government in order to make life better for the people, JCI Benin Metropolitan President led other Members to pay a courtesy visit on the Permanent Secretary and Staffs of the Ministry of Environment and Public Utility to formally unveil some of the Organization strategic plans to aggressively involve all relevant Stakeholders towards making Edo State clean in a bid to drastically reduce Malaria related disease in our Society which hitherto researches conducted has shown that Malaria persist in a dirty environment where mosquitoes dwells. Haven recently experiment our quest to partner with the Ministry of Environment and Public utility during JCI International Service week vis-à-vis Environmental Sanitation Exercise which took place on the 27th of March, 2017 at Uyiekpen Street of Akpakpava Road, Benin City, we are convinced that we can assist Ministry Environment and Public Utility make a difference and create sustainable impact in our Environment.
Here in Edo state, JCI Benin Metropolitan used the Occasion to partner with the Ministry of Environment and Public Utility to launch "Operation All Hands on Deck to Clean Edo State". Other plan of actions that were unveiled at a round table meeting with the Permanent Secretary and Staffs of Ministry of Environment and Public Utility includes;
1. Massive Environmental Awareness via Social Media, Print/Electronic Media
2. Involvement of JCI Benin Metropolitan in the State Monthly Environmental Sanitation Exercise
3. Collaboration with NGOs, Civil Society Organizations, Youth and Women Groups etc
4. Distribution of JCI Benin Metropolitan fabricated Public Waste Bins
5. Regular workshop/sensitization on conversion from waste to wealth
· People tested Positive during the commemoration of World Malaria Day by JCI Benin Metropolitan medical experts were more than those tested Negative which suggest that malaria looms in Oredo and Edo State in general
· Malaria kills more people than HIV/AIDS in Edo State and Nigeria at large every year
· 1 in 5 death of children under the age of 5 in Africa, Nigeria and Edo State is due to Malaria
· A child dies every minute from malaria in a community like ours
· 9 out of 10 malaria death occurs in Africa
· Free treated Mosquito Nets should be distributed regularly to communities.
· Malaria test should be conducted regularly while administering of drugs to those tested Positive.
· Creating of Malaria awareness.
· Government should intensify efforts to involve citizens and stakeholders to clean Edo State to arrest the ugly and deadly trends being posed by malaria.
In conclusion, we want to thank the Ministry of Health, Environment and Public Utility, Uwa Blessed Foundation and Members of Junior Chamber International Benin Metropolitan for their involvement, support and commitment toward the just concluded commemoration of World Malaria Day.